Psalm 119: Worth All 176 Verses

This short Bible study offers a fun and effective way to study Psalm 119, the longest psalm.

Before doing this study, please read the one minute introduction 
Psalm 119: 176 Verses Filled with Wisdom, Comfort, and Instruction.  It talks about the importance of Psalm 119 and suggests a fun and meaningful way to study it by making three lists: the benefits of God's Word, the descriptions of God's Word, and the psalmist's attitudes toward God's Word. 

These are not absolute categories. They will overlap and one person will see them a bit differently from another. 

Psalm 119 is made up of 22 stanzas, one for each letter in the Hebrew alphabet, with a total of 176 verses. God's Word is described in a variety of ways, so your lists will be based on all descriptions whether the law, precepts, testimony, statutes, commandments, etc., There are only two verses in Psalm 119 that don't contain a reference to God's Word (122 & 132).

In this study, we'll make the 3 suggested lists for the first 8 verses. I hope you'll complete these lists for the whole psalm. 

I encourage you to make your own lists for these verses before reading my insights below.


Psalm 119: 1-8:
1 Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord. 
2 Blessed are those who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart— 
3 They do no wrong but follow his ways. 
4 You have laid down precepts that are to be fully obeyed. 
5 Oh, that my ways were steadfast in obeying your decrees! 
 Then I would not be put to shame when I consider all your commands. 
7 I will praise you with an upright heart as I learn your righteous laws. 
8 I will obey your decrees; do not utterly forsake me. 

This short Bible study offers a fun and effective way to study Psalm 119, the longest psalm.
Note that God's Word is described 6 ways in these 8 verses:

Law, statutes, ways, precepts, decrees, commands. These names show the multi-faceted purposes of God's Word. It provides instruction, testimony, revealed paths, positive laws, judgments, etc.

The Benefits of God's Word in these 8 verses:
1. It blesses the man who obeys it (v.1 & 2)
2. It's principles produce godliness (v. 1)
3. It keeps the godly man from feeling shame (v.5)

♥ The descriptions of God's Word
1. It is designed to be fully obeyed (v.4)
2. It is righteous (v.7)

The Psalmist's attitude toward God's Word:
1. He understands and expounds on the benefits of those who obey God's Word
2. He longs to be steadfast in obedience to God's Word (v.5)
3. He "considers" - takes into account, acknowledges, remembers God's Word (v.5)
4. He learns God's Word with a thankful heart (v.7)
5. He commits to obey God's Word (v.8)

Psalm 119:1-8 in a nutshell: Obedience to God's wonderful Word brings blessings and godliness. 

James 1:22-25 shares similar truths:
"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do."

For additional insights on Psalm 119, see these one-minute devotions:

3 Ways to Overcome Temptation, a biblical strategy found in Psalm 119.

Hidden, But Not Hidden, offering 7 practical ways to obey Psalm 119:11.

How I Delight in Your Commands, a theme found in Psalm 119 that is relevant for our present cultural conditions.



 copyright 2014, Gail Burton Purath, BiteSizeBibleStudy.com, updated 2023

1 comment:

  1. Good 🌄 Morning!
    Although I have read the whole book of Psalms several, several times, (Because Psalms, along with Proverbs is a weekly reading in our Morning Services where I fellowship).

    However, a few years ago, I began to pay attention to the different sections which were named. So I decided to circle and number them, and discovered that they were exactly twenty two sections with 8 verses each section! This discovery thrilled my soul and I wanted to learn more!

    Fast forward to 17 June 2021, and I am up early writing down each section with it's corresponding Scripture verses!

    Over the years and throughout my readings, many of these verses have resonated with me, and have become my personal favorites and a part of my daily confession for my life!

    ReplyDelete