Psalm One: Sheer Delight

This Short Bible Study examines Psalm One and the Sheer Delight it explains.

Before doing this Bible study, please read the one-minute introduction The Sheer Delight of Psalm 1. It talks about the importance of delighting in God's Word and delighting in God Himself.

1. As you read through Psalm 1, write down each of the truths it includes.

Psalm 1: Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, 2 but whose delight is in the law of the LORD, and who meditates on his law day and night.3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither—whatever they do prospers.4 Not so the wicked! They are like chaff that the wind blows away.5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.6 For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked leads to destruction.

Notes:
Verse 1: For a deeper look at verse one and the three steps it describes, read the 1-Minute Bible Love Note Walk Away
Verse 3Regarding the promise "whatever they do prospers." 
Remember that everything Joseph did prospered because God was with him, but that didn't mean he was always rich or comfortable. God doesn't promise His children an easy road, but He does promise to prosper His purposes in our lives. 


2. Note how Paul expresses a similar delight in the Lord in the passage below:

Philippians 3:7-14: But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. 10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead. 12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. 

This passage is always convicting to me...in a good way. I want to have the same zeal for knowing Christ that Paul had. Paul's desire to know Christ couldn't have been stronger even though He knew it meant "participation" in Christ's sufferings. See 2 Corinthians 11:21-33. 

To read two 1-Minute Bible Love Notes about another man who exemplified this passage, see Go Forth and Blurry Vision.

This Short Bible Study examines Psalm One and the Sheer Delight it explains.



copyright, Gail Burton Purath, BiteSizeBibleStudy.com, edited and updated in 2023 

No comments:

Post a Comment